Data sources and processing
All smoking data presented in this report are for current (not daily) smoking of all tobacco products. The snapshot for current smoking in 2021 is a linear estimate calculated using 2020 and 2025 data from trend projections published by the WHO.45
Similarly, we use a term of current (not daily) vaping. Figures from China, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia and the Philippines are from surveys conducted around 2018 and are projected to 2021.
From other countries – where surveys have not been conducted – figures are from GSTHR Global Number of Vapers Estimation51 and are also projected to 2021. Projections were calculated based on the Statista Market Revenue Forecast52 and the United Nation World Population Prospects.53
In the GSTHR Burning Issues report, the number of smokers was calculated using point estimates of smoking prevalence for 2018, and population data for adults (15+) for 2018. In this report, the number of smokers was calculated using projections of smoking prevalence for 2021, and population data for adults (15)+ for 2021.
WHO (2019). WHO global report on trends in prevalence of tobacco use 2000–2025, third edition. World Health Organization.
- Thematic Household Survey Report No. 59. Pattern of smoking. Personal computer and Internet penetration. Use of language. (2016). Census and Statistics Department. https://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B11302592016XXXXB0100.pdf
- Thematic Household Survey Report No. 64. Pattern of smoking. Personal computer and Internet penetration. (2018). Census and Statistics Department. https://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B11302642018XXXXB0100.pdf
- Thematic Household Survey Report No. 70. Pattern of smoking. (2020). Census and Statistics Department. https://www. statistics.gov.hk/pub/B11302702020XXXXB0100.pdf
Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) Viet Nam 2010 (p. 101). (2010). Ministry Of Health Of Viet Nam, Hanoi Medical
University, General Statistics Office, Centers For Disease Control And Prevention, World Health Organization.
- Global Adult Tobacco Survey (GATS) Viet Nam 2015 (p. 101). (2016). Ministry Of Health Of Viet Nam, Hanoi Medical University, General Statistics Office, Centers For Disease Control And Prevention, World Health Organization. https://www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/survey/gats/vietnam-country-report-2015.pdf
- Shapiro, H. (2020). Burning Issues: Global State of Tobacco Harm Reduction 2020. Knowledge-Action-Change. https://gsthr.org/resources/item/burning-issues-global-state-tobacco-harm-reduction-2020
- E-Cigarettes – worldwide | Statista Market Forecast (adjusted for expected impact of COVID-19). (2020, May). Statista. https://www.statista.com/outlook/50040000/100/e-cigarettes/worldwide
- Department of Economic and Social Affairs (Ed.). (2019). World Population Prospects 2019 (Online Edition Rev. 1.; Population Division). United Nations. https://population.un.org/wpp/Download/Standard/Population/